In search of a better T-shirt pattern.

In search of a better T-shirt pattern.

I’ve been using the same T-shirt pattern (an amalgamation of a few patterns) for several years. Anytime I venture to try a new pattern, I pull out my old standard for comparison. Lately the fit is not as perfect as it used to be, and thus I am holding auditions for a new favourite. This is the Meg McElwee T-shirt pattern from the Craftsy course Sewing with Knits, the same as I used for this mustard dress, and while the fit is great for the dress, I prefer a looser fit through the waist. I made a medium with 2″ extra length added.

P450-IMG_8878

This is another Stencil 201 stencil. I was going for a Lemonade/Coral/Aubergine gradient using my new Tulip Colorshot paint. The gradient didn’t work out, but I like the paint a lot. It’s not stiff like other Tulip paints I’ve used.

P450-IMG_8880I had considered this whole project of a fail, yet I keep wearing it. It’s super comfortable (100% stretch) and surprisingly, I really like the colour. Unfortunately it’s already pilling, so the rest of this material is earmarked for underwear. What’s your favorite T-shirt pattern?

 

Even slower than the last shirt

Even slower than the last shirt

P450-IMG_8894

The binding I originally used for this shirt was too heavy for the lightweight jersey, and this poor shirt has been sitting in my sewing pile for around 2 years. My reluctance to make the change was due to the clinginess of the tee. Even though it was the same size and has the same 50% stretch factor as all my other tees, this one was just too clingy to be flattering. After the fit issues of my last shirt, I tried it on again, and I guess boot camp is paying off, because I love the fit of it now.

I added the roller skate using a stencil from Stencil 201, and Pebeo Setacolor Opaque paints. This is the first time I’ve used the paints with a stencil, and the results are not as sharp as using freezer paper, but it was quick and easy.

P450-IMG_8896

I’m feeling pretty satisfied with this completion. I’m feeling inspired to tackle more UFOs.

 

Is there a slow clothes movement?

Is there a slow clothes movement?

P450-IMG_8865

Reasons why this shirt didn’t make it to my wardrobe:

  • the neckline is saggy
  • topstitching is imperfect
  • the colour wasn’t right for spring

At some point I added the heat transfer vinyl heart. See the original heart here, and yes, it took me 1.5 years to finally make it for myself.

P450-IMG_8864

And after a few more months of sitting around, I took these pictures, and realized I kind of like it. I really love the pattern – as evidenced here, here, and here – even with the neckline fit issues. I removed 1/4″ at the neckline at each seam, but now I’m wondering if I need a smaller size. Unfortunately I have lost the pattern sheet for this issue, but I’m sure it will turn up once I commit to the magical art of tidying. Until then, I’ll just wear this one.

The Details
Pattern Burdastyle 2/2013 Pattern 126 Size 42
Fabric Type Rayon Jersey
Stretch Factor 50%