7 months ago I pledged to make another version of this dress for Adeline. Considering this dress has been complete for at least 2 months, we’re talking record breaking completion time for me.
This dress is, amazingly, a favorite of both Adeline and I. It’s been worn so many times over the summer. The combination lightweight jersey, purchased eons ago from Girl Charlee, and long sleeves is perfect for fair Adeline, who declares daily, “Sunscreeen is my enemy!”.
I made size 116, with sleeve length of 110, then added 3/8″ length to the bodice, and 1″ length to the hem.
Lucky us, having photo shoots in Croatia. The top 2 photos are in Zagreb, and the bottom is in Vir.
Last week wasKid’s Clothes Week, and as usual I made some pajamas. To celebrate, finally, refurbishing my ugly mustard dress I used up the rest of the fabric. The non-childish print is very sweet on her, making me wish I’d sewn her a dress instead.
Casper got a pair of underwear, which he would not let me photograph on him, but they are also adorable.
There was a need for all black shorts. Not wanting to make the most boring pair of shorts in the history of boring shorts, I used this Ottobre pattern which has lots of cute details. Of course, black is really hard to photograph, but in real life they remind me of tuxedo pants.
There were a few bumps along the way. See how nicely that back pocket is sewn on? Too bad it’s through both back pieces.
It’s looks even better after the second go.
The shorts are slightly large on him – he’s due for a growth spurt anyway. This pattern was fun to sew and I’m already imagining better ways to use all the details. I kind of love welt pockets, but I always go back and watch Sew Better, Sew Faster before I do them.
Casper needed some shorts and I have a crazy need to make the kids matching clothes, so they both got a pair of turquoise shorts. I often make and buy shorts that have patterns which can yield some crazy combinations when Casper chooses his own outfits. This turquoise is an attempt to be neutral, albeit a failed attempt.
The shorts took much more time to complete than I had anticipated, so I was a bit annoyed with myself because Adeline’s would only be seen under her dresses. To my surprise, Adeline is wearing them regularly, with T-shirts even.
If I had it to do again, I’d make each of them 1 size smaller and I’d make that back pocket square. I made a cardboard template to help make the little round pocket and still both attempts were less than perfect. Mind you looking at the pictures now, I may have been too hard on myself. Check out my full review at Pattern Review.
Many moons ago, Casper rocked a cute pair of rocket PJs, often (although I could not find photographic evidence) on a matching rocket baby blanket. But something was wrong with the blanket, something on the inside had disintegrated making the blanket lumpy.
The blanket sat lonely in the sewing room for many years, until one day it was freed of its lumpy interior.
It was freed from the copious amounts of thread binding it together.
The blanket was surprised at its transformation, and even more surprised to find Casper had been transformed too. No longer was he a tiny baby obsessed with the washing machine, but instead a handsome, loving brother.
I’ve read about people who, once they sew with a fabric, never want to use it again. I am not one of those people. Even if the fabric is bad, I have the inclination to use it all up. This is the same fabric I used to make Adeline’s (it’s a dress) tunic, although slightly less pink, since I dyed it in tea.
The fabric is a thick non-stretch sweatshirt fleece, so I won’t be wearing it until next fall. Being sturdy, it works well with this pattern, but it’s more of a jacket than hoodie. Nonetheless, I like it.