I finished these shorts back in August – my Burda Challenge for July. I always add 2 inches in height just below the waist for pants. I think a lot of my extra height is carried between my ribs and hips, but having the shorts this high is just too much.
That said, I haven’t seen these pictures for a few months and they don’t look as bad as I remember…
except from this angle.
They are even kind of cute like this. I plan to shorten them a tad, and stitch down the pleats on the front. I really should lower that fake back pocket, while I’m at it. Since these are all fantasy alterations anyway, I’ll make a fake back pocket for the other side too.
I can’t believe it’s August already. I haven’t had too much sewing time, as we’ve been spending our days at amusement parks, waterslides, and swimming pools. I’ve lived in Wisconsin for 4 years, and only discovered the Dells (waterpark capital of the world). I knew it existed before, just hadn’t experienced it. The rest of our time has been spent packing, because we are finally moving back to Vancouver, my hometown. Yay, Canada!
I did finish this simple top. And it was simple, but I’m stepping out of my comfort zone working with silk. I was slightly short on fabric so I omitted the back seam. I also finished the neckline with bias strips instead of a facing. Probably a mistake, the neckline looks a bit tortured. After skimming the seam allowances down to 1/4″ to fit the pattern on, I ended up taking out 3/4″ of the side seams. I had lots of troubles sewing straight, so there were weird puckers every so often.
In the end it turned out okay. The armholes are a bit tight. Maybe someday I’ll fix it. I have enough bias to redo one arm hole, so I’d have to piece together some very small bits of fabric if I wanted to fix both.
Now I’m just waiting for the weather to cool off. I think this would look better with jeans.
These pants are finally complete! They weren’t that difficult, but I stumbled a few places along the way. They are very high waisted, designed to be 2″ above the waist. I added 2″ below the waist and 2″ in the leg to accommodate my tall stature, and these landed 2″ above my waist. Having the pants so high didn’t feel comfortable, and I removed the 2″ above the waist. Fruitless, right? Adding and subtracting, but the fit is nice, so maybe not.
Shortening the waist meant cutting the invisible zipper, and even though I secured the top with some stitches, the zipper pull came off and refused to go back on. I removed the zipper and tried a non-invisible zipper, but it looked terrible. After a trip to the store, I finally redid the invisible zipper and completed the pants.
They are still so high, and a bit too short. I did omit the leg zips and made the bottoms a bit wider. If I make another pair I might add the zips.
Burdastyle 4/2015 Pattern 129
Hurray! April Burda challenge complete! Since it’s July now, I’ll just move on to July. Thanks for stopping by.
These pants have been cut out since April (for my April Burda Challenge). I am sewing them from crappy cotton chambray instead of reversible silk. I’m not sure what the hold up is, except maybe I’ve never done a side zipper. Or maybe it’s how high these go; I added 2″ of extra height to compensate for my stature, and these are supposed to be 2″ above the waist already. They look ridiculously long waisted.
I’ve tried everything, to get back to sewing again. I’ve completely cleaned and re-organized my sewing space, sewn up a few small projects, gone to a sewing retreat, and now this–pledging to the millions thousands hundreds handful of readers that these will get sewn.
I originally wanted to do Adeline’s shorts from this material, but she refused. Casper, as always, was game. I think these are cute, but let’s face it, they are impractical. What can he wear with them? His dad will be at a loss if he has to choose a top to match.
I originally cut these at a size 122, but sized down to 116 after making this pair of pants. They were still quite large around the waist so I added elastic to the back waist band, which resulted in a less clean look. I absolutely, positively will measure him and check the size chart before I make anything else for him.
I was hoping to get better pictures, but as of yet, he has not chosen to wear them, even on our trip to Vancouver where it was beautiful and sunny. These shorts are cute, but the fabric is best suited to this romper. And clearly I need to buy less fabric, when shopping for the kids.
This was my Burda Challenge from April. I haven’t even looked at May yet. Perhaps I’ll just skip it, since I received the June issue in the mail. I had intended to let my subscription lapse, but they keep sending me copies. Perhaps it’s renewed automatically.
Sure, it’s May now. Expect my April Burda challenges sometime in June. This is the top that went wrong every step of the way. It was so bad I scrapped it and started over (see the result here). I botched the height adjustment on this when I added 1.25″ in length above the chest, and then I botched a whole mess of other things. Once I removed the binding, yet again, I took it in to sewing class, where my teacher helped with the fitting.
In the end, I like the fit. Yellow is not my go to colour, but I only have a handful of wovens in my stash to choose from. This fabric is lighter weight than the gingham, and works better.
The gingham has 25% stretch, while this one has none, so I am surprised that this one is more forgiving over my curves/bulges. The pattern called for lightweight blouse fabric with some body, that gingham just has too much body.
And I was pretty surprised to see that they are opposite. I really should mark the front and back when I’m cutting.