My latest batch of underwear is the cutest, but sadly, a bit tight. Because I, with my 6 years of sewing experience, completely disregarded the 70% stretch requirement of Jalie 2568. Underwear is small, can 50% stretch really be so different than 70%? Yes, the difference is slightly uncomfortably tight underwear.
I’m not getting discouraged. I happen to have a degree in mathematics, and I am using my impressive math skills to expand the Jalie pattern to accommodate 50% stretch fabrics. Wish me luck. Has anybody else successfully converted a pattern in this way?
Also, check out my Instagram feed @plaid_thursdays, though currently it doesn’t have much sewing, just vacation and decluttering pics.
The binding I originally used for this shirt was too heavy for the lightweight jersey, and this poor shirt has been sitting in my sewing pile for around 2 years. My reluctance to make the change was due to the clinginess of the tee. Even though it was the same size and has the same 50% stretch factor as all my other tees, this one was just too clingy to be flattering. After the fit issues of my last shirt, I tried it on again, and I guess boot camp is paying off, because I love the fit of it now.
I added the roller skate using a stencil from Stencil 201, and Pebeo Setacolor Opaque paints. This is the first time I’ve used the paints with a stencil, and the results are not as sharp as using freezer paper, but it was quick and easy.
I’m feeling pretty satisfied with this completion. I’m feeling inspired to tackle more UFOs.
Reasons why this shirt didn’t make it to my wardrobe:
the neckline is saggy
topstitching is imperfect
the colour wasn’t right for spring
At some point I added the heat transfer vinyl heart. See the original heart here, and yes, it took me 1.5 years to finally make it for myself.
And after a few more months of sitting around, I took these pictures, and realized I kind of like it. I really love the pattern – as evidenced here, here, and here – even with the neckline fit issues. I removed 1/4″ at the neckline at each seam, but now I’m wondering if I need a smaller size. Unfortunately I have lost the pattern sheet for this issue, but I’m sure it will turn up once I commit to the magical art of tidying. Until then, I’ll just wear this one.
Sewing underwear is super fun; the small investment of time and fabric is liberating. It’s like sewing for kids, but they’re for me.
Not that it’s been all perfection. Instead of picot elastic I used fold-over elastic, and I forgot to trim the 3/8″ seam allowance, leaving these all a bit wide in the crotch. But it has given me a chance to work out some kinks using my new raw finish 2-fold binding attachment for my Janome Coverpro.
These are all Jalie 2568, with a few minor tweaks. Unfortunately, none of these match the fit of my original pair, but they are wearable and cute. Perhaps the next round will be perfect.
There was a need for all black shorts. Not wanting to make the most boring pair of shorts in the history of boring shorts, I used this Ottobre pattern which has lots of cute details. Of course, black is really hard to photograph, but in real life they remind me of tuxedo pants.
There were a few bumps along the way. See how nicely that back pocket is sewn on? Too bad it’s through both back pieces.
It’s looks even better after the second go.
The shorts are slightly large on him – he’s due for a growth spurt anyway. This pattern was fun to sew and I’m already imagining better ways to use all the details. I kind of love welt pockets, but I always go back and watch Sew Better, Sew Faster before I do them.
I made some brown pants. They are brown sweatpants, a lot like Casper’s brown pants in that they are made from the same material, and they are sweat pants. I’ve made a few other projects from the same material, it’s a seemingly endless supply. They are comfy, and they look alright…until I show you this…
The waist is huge. The fit is great everywhere else, I have no idea why the waist is so large. I added about 4 inches in total to the length to accommodate my height, and 2 of those inches are between the crotch and the waist. I know it’s not the most flattering, but I like the comfort of pants at my real waist.
I really like the fit of the legs and the fake fly, but the pockets are too small, or too high. I’m never sure where to put the pockets once I do my height adjustment. I’ve considered wearing them as is, but I’d like to make another pair and want to have a better idea of what to change. Everybody needs some quality time with their seam ripper, right?
Casper needed some shorts and I have a crazy need to make the kids matching clothes, so they both got a pair of turquoise shorts. I often make and buy shorts that have patterns which can yield some crazy combinations when Casper chooses his own outfits. This turquoise is an attempt to be neutral, albeit a failed attempt.
The shorts took much more time to complete than I had anticipated, so I was a bit annoyed with myself because Adeline’s would only be seen under her dresses. To my surprise, Adeline is wearing them regularly, with T-shirts even.
If I had it to do again, I’d make each of them 1 size smaller and I’d make that back pocket square. I made a cardboard template to help make the little round pocket and still both attempts were less than perfect. Mind you looking at the pictures now, I may have been too hard on myself. Check out my full review at Pattern Review.